Yes, it’s exactly what it says in the title, a cake in a jar . Some time ago I saw a picture of it on internet and immediately fell in love with the idea! Originally this methode of baking cakes in jars was invented to send to soldiers who spend their birthday or christmas overseas but I think it’s also a great idea for lazy movie nights at home with friends .
The real cake in a Jar is baked in a mason jar and storable for about two or three weeks (or even longer..). Mine however is not a classical one. I simply baked some muffins cut them horizontally in halfs and layered them together with raspberries, blueberries, chocolate or almond slices and whipped cream inside a jar. The thought of eating a decadent cake out of a jar is what turns me on not the fact that it’s storable. It is also not totally safe to bake cakes in jars. According to the University of Georgia the bacteria Clostridium botulinum can grow on cakes baked in mason jars and cause botulism, a fatal illness. So if you try to bake them inside a jar make sure to keep them in the fridge and consume them fast!
To see the recipe and more pictures, read on!
– Flour (2 cups)
– Milk (1 1/2 cups)
– Eggs (2)
– Sugar (1 1/3 cups)
– Baking powder
– A pinch of salt
– Any fillings/toppings you like! (berries, chocolate etc.)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the milk and beat for 1 minute on medium speed.
3. Add eggs to the mixture and beat for about two minutes until well mixed.
4. Spoon cupcake batter into bakingforms until 1/3 full.
5. Now add whatever garnish you like such as for example raspberries, chocolate, blueberries nuts etc. and if you like it colorful use a little bit of food coloring!
6. Pour the rest of the batter over the garnish until the form is 2/3 full.
7. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
8. When they’re cool enough to handle take them out of their form and cut them horizontally.
9. Make different layers of fruits, chocolate and cake and put it in the fridge. Take it out when you’re ready to eat this sweet temptation!
I hope yo will try out this idea and let me know how it tasted!